blueberry plant name - Knowledgebase Question

Pensacola, Fl
Question by bprea
Maybe your answer ended in my Junk mail, so let me try again. We purchased a blueberry plant with Home Depot's #THDA3078. 1.What is the actual name (such as rabbiteye)? 2. What should we use plant them in a container? - potting soil?, mulch? Thanks!

Rabbit-eye blueberries are better adapted to the northern parts of Florida; southern highbush blueberries are best for Pensacola. Since the plants are locally grown I suspect yours are southern highbush, which ripen about 4 weeks earlier than rabbit-eye. All blueberries grow best in full sunshine and prefer an acidic soil. You can either grow them in containers in regular potting soil or you can prepare the ground by mixing in by volume one third peat moss to two thirds native soil. Mulch with about 2 inches of peat moss and feed with an acidified fertilizer such as Miracid. This combination of amended soil and acidified fertilizer should provide the conditions your blueberries will like best. Hope this message makes its way to your inbox!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"