fungus - Knowledgebase Question

Allison Park, Pe
Question by vcameron1
I have a contorted hazelnut three that is well established (about 10 years) it has developed some type of white scaly growth on the limbs. I don't know what to do with it, but it seems to be killing my tree! Do you have any idea what it is and what I can do for it?

0

I can't identify the problem without actually seeing it but I wonder if it's lichen. Lichen is a mottled gray/green growth and is common on the branches of woody shrubs and on tree trunks and branches. It doesn't really harm the plant other than to hold too much moisture against the bark which can cause rotting. You can usually control it with dormant season applications of lime/sulfur. It kills the lichen which then sloughs off on its own in a year or two. Before treating with any product why not peel of or scrape off some of the growth and/or take a close up photo and take the sample/photo to your local cooperative extension office for positive identification. I think Allison Park is in Allegheny County. If so, contact Penn State Cooperative Extension, 400 North Lexington Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15208-2521.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "