Why do my Tomatoes have dark spots on them like they are getting rotten? - Knowledgebase Question

Aylett, Vi
Question by Grammi6kids
I planted my tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets. I have good drainage holds in the bottom. The plants look good and have a lot of blooms and tomaotes on them. Why do some of them have dark spots like they are rotting? I live in Aylett, Virginia and where my plants ared they get the evening sun. Also can I use the same soil again if I use plant food in it to replentish it?

Those spots are either a fungal or bacterial disease. These are aggravated by frequent wetting. Since your tomatoes only need watering once or twice a week, I suggest you move toward that watering schedule. As for the diseases, compost tea may help deter the disease from starting, but your County Extension Office (phone (804) 769-4955) can probably recommend a more effective option since the disease already has a head start on your plants.

You can reuse the potting soil for anything other than tomato plants (or members of the nightshade family). Use it for other types of veggies or for flowers next year, just in case disease pathogens from your tomatoes invade the potting soil.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"