tomatoes not ripening - Knowledgebase Question

chesapeake, Vi
Question by cmbrady34
I have a number of tomato plants(large tomatoes mainly)that are on the vine but not turning red(ripe) My grape tomatoes are doig very well.What do I need to do to help the ripening process?I do not have any end rot etc.

0

They may be ripening right on schedule, it's just that you're anxious for them to ripen. Here are a few tricks to help push those green tomatoes along! Remove a portion of the foliage. Don't remove too much, or you'll risk sunscald, but thin the plants to allow sun to penetrate and warm the fruit. Prune actively growing suckers and shoots, to direct energy toward the fruit. Root prune, by sinking a shovel into the ground in a circle around the plant, about a foot from the stem. By disturbing the roots in this way, you can sometimes stress the plants into ripening their fruit. Bring any partially ripened fruit indoors and place in a warm spot to hasten ripening. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"