Iris Rhizomes - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
My sister's neighbor pulled up some of his iris rhizomes a few weeks ago and set them out to dry in the shade. He sent me a few but without any instructions on when to plant these back in the ground. Should I put them in the ground now or wait for a certain time of the year? How do I take care of them if I have to wait before putting them back in the ground? Thank you.

The iris rhizomes should be planted as soon as possible. While they can tolerate being out of the ground for a little while, the longer they are without water, the less likely they will be to recover and grow. Plant iris in a sunny bed in soil that drains well. You can dig a trench and set the rhizomes into the trench, spreading out the roots in a natural way and then covering the entire rhizome with an inch or two of soil. When you are finished planting the rhizomes should be just an inch or two below the soil surface. Water on a regular basis and you'll see new growth emerging from the rhizome. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"