Verbascum - Knowledgebase Question

Charlestown, Ma
Question by alatham8
I planted verbascum after first frost and it just lays there in the mulch. The leaves are green but flat. I know that it's not bloom time yet, but shouldn't it being showing signs of growth. This is kind of a weed so I would think it would be vigorous. I'm not sure if I should loose it in favor of some evergreens or give it some time.

0

You're right - verbascum can become weedy, mostly because it is tolerant of all kinds of growing conditions. It prefers full sunshine and soils on the dry side. If yours isn't showing any signs of growth it may be getting too much water or you may have planted it too deeply. I'd give it one more chance. Brush away the mulch, dig the plant, set it a little higher in the soil and keep the mulch away from the stems and leaves. The mulch may be holding too much moisture in the ground. Once the plant begins to perk up you can replace the mulch - but don't put it directly in contact with the stems of the plant. I hope this wakes it up and makes it grow~

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"