Potted Plants - Northern Exposure - Knowledgebase Question

Buckeye, Ar
Question by tofufingers
I'm in Buckeye, AZ and have a front porch that faces North. It gets zero sun in the winter, but does get some hot sun in the early morning and late afternoon in the summer. I'm looking for a recommendation for plant combinations to put in large pots there...I'd like a recommendation for Winter and one for Summer. Something hard to kill and effortless would be great!

The summer plant combination will be a little more difficult to suggest. Salvia likes the hot sunshine, as does gaillardia, annual vinca and lantana. Dwarf bottlebrush might be another consideration for the hot summer sunshine. The winter combination can include pansies, impatiens, and bedding begonias. I'm growing a viney shrub called Duranta on my shady front porch. Another interesting plant is snail vine. It wants to climb but I think it looks really nice just cascading down the sides of containers. You can also grow daylilies, desert rose, gardenia, lily of the nile, Mexican heather, mock orange or pink jasmine in containers on your porch. Most will tolerate morning sun in the summertime. You may have to experiment to see which ones thrive for you. Enjoy your new plants!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"