Should I Use Sevin on Japanese Beetles - Knowledgebase Question

Clayton, No
Question by jessmarroyo
Japanese beetles are attacking my very young crape myrtle, peach and apple trees. I go out several times a day to squirt them with soapy water. There are tons of them. I am especially concerned that the destruction of the leaves on my peach tree will impair the growth of the baby peaches. Should I use a heavy insecticide like Sevin?

0

It often takes a two-pronged approach to control Japanese Beetles. You are seeing the adults which were grubs in your lawn and garden earlier this year. So, you'll want to control both the adults you're seeing now, and any grubs that may overwinter in your soil. Milky spore, Bacillus popilliae, is a disease-causing bacterium that is effective against grubs of Japanese beetles. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Carbaryl (Sevin 50WP) will control the adults but I prefer to use something a little less powerful. Try neem oil (Bonide Bon-Neem or Green Light Neem Concentrate) or cyfluthrin (Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer Concentrate) or permethrin (Spectracide Bug Stop Multi-Purpose Insect Control Concentrate) are labeled for use against Japanese beetles on crape myrtle and on fruit trees. As with all pesticides, read and follow all label instructions and precautions.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"