Growing Gingko From Seed - Knowledgebase Question

Toronto, ON
Question by yu218179
I have two seeds of the Gingko biloba tree from a packet purchased last year. How should I plant these seeds to get successful germination? Although I tried to follow the packet directions last year, none of the seeds germinated. Will 1 year old seeds germinate?

0

If your seeds were properly stored, they should germinate. Gingko seeds need an 8-10 week pre-chilling treatment prior to sowing. Place the seeds in a plastic bag filled with moistened potting soil, seal the bag, and place it in your refrigerator. At the end of the chilling period, remove and sow each seed 1/8" deep in moistened seed starting mix. Cover with plastic wrap to help retain moisture and place pots in a warm area, such as on top of the refrigerator. Seeds should germinate in 30-60 days when kept at 70F - 75F degrees.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"