|Chipmunks have been chewing through the stems of our lilies, about 6 inches from the ground. DO not appear to be eating the plants, just chewing the stems. Has never happened before. How can we prevent this?
|Answer from NGA
June 17, 2010
|Chipmunks and rabbits won't eat lilies - they are poisonous, but that won't stop them from nibbling through the stems. Once they figure out they've bitten into lilies, they move on. Of course by then your lilies are damaged. So the best defense is to place a barrier between the nibblers and the lily stems. You can make a temporary barrier by setting three or four bamboo stakes (or metal stakes) around the lily stem and then attaching chicken wire or hardware cloth to the stakes. Make the little fence at least 18" high. Hope this keeps the criters at bay.
« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage