Salt in garden soil - Knowledgebase Question

Milwaukie, Or
Question by jennifer765
I know this makes me sound like a total idiot, but my fight with slugs came to a head two days ago when I decided to dump a bunch of salt around the perimeter of my garden. I later read this can kill plants, so last night I went out and scraped off the top layer of soil where the salt was. How harmful is salt, really? What should I expect to happen with all the sprouts and seedlings?

0

No, you don't sound like an idiot! I know how exasperating slugs can be! A safer way of controlling them is with an iron based product called Sluggo. It is harmless to people, pets and wildlife but it does a job on the slugs. I like it because the slugs feed on it and then go away to die. This means I don't have to clean up the carnage. Any product that is not consumed by slugs breaks down into simple iron which is absorbed by the earth. It's much better for your garden than salt. Saline soil can burn the roots of plants but if you scraped off most of the salt, I don't think you'll see much damage to your plants. You can go a step further and flood the soil to help leach out any residual salt. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"