Morning glory erdication needed in my Organic Vegetable Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by reremoore
Hi - I have a aggressive morning glory vines attacking my tender organic vegetable garden in Chicago. I keep pulling them up but the roots are out of control. Any organic options to eradicate the vine while keeping my veggies safe to consume? Signed, All caught up in glory and not in a good way!

0

I wish there were an easy solution to the problem. Wild morning glory, or field bindweed, is difficult to control once established. It is a perennial and forms a deep, extensive root system. Pulling the tops only encourages new sprouts from the roots. To kill it, cultivate or hoe every 6 weeks throughout the growing season; this eventually weakens the root system. Don't let bindweed set seed; the hard-coated seeds can sprout even after lying dormant in the soil for years. Once you've harvested your vegetables you can use a product such as Round Up to kill off the roots of the bindweed. Round Up, painted directly on the stubs of the stems immediately after you've cut the tops will be translocated down to the roots but will not move in the soil. Once the bindweed is dead you can pull it up and out of the bed. Hope you get control of the nasty weed!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "