replaced lawn - Knowledgebase Question

seymour, Co
Question by mywheelspin6
2 years ago i had my yard replaced with sod , after the 1st year i had a number of spots that either died or just won't grow. what is the best way to get the grass to grow? I do fertilizer and water on a regular basis

The most common causes for dead of sod are dog urine, poor rooting due to soil compaction, and areas where sprinklers do not reach. I'd be curious enough to dig out the dead spots and check the soil to make sure it is as moist as in the rest of the lawn and that the roots have penetrated down into the native soil. You can overseed the dead spots after removing the old grass or you can take plugs of grass from the healthy part of your lawn and plant them in the bare spots. Work a little compost into the areas prior to seeding or plugging and be sure to keep the areas uniformly moist so the roots can grow deep and the lawn can remain healthy. Best wishes with your turfgrass!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"