Peach Leave Curl - Knowledgebase Question

Gresham, Or
Question by rachelle_ona
I have had Peach Leave curl for the past 2 years now and I'm sure how to get my Peach tree healthy again. I treated it with some Fungicide towards the End of Feb and early March, but still came back with Peach Leave Curl. I live in Gresham, OR. What product do I need to get rid of this? Can I treat it during the summer? Please advise. Thank you.

Peach Leaf Curl can affect leaves, flowers, tender shoots and even fruit. Diseased leaves eventually fall off, but unaffected leaves will grow on normally. Once you see the problem it is too late to correct it for that season. Sanitary measures certainly can't hurt, so you may want to collect and discard fallen, affected leaves, and to prune twigs with the small, seldom noticed swellings caused by the infection. Infection occurs in spring when temperatures are around 68 degrees and surface moisture is present on the buds. Therefore the problem doesn't occur every year with the same severity. The lowest toxicity option for effective control is to apply a copper fungicide at the beginning of dormancy in the fall. Copper will cause the peach to defoliate so that is why we wait until the leaves begin to fall to apply it. Note that copper can stain masonry blue, so be careful in applying the spray if your tree is near a sidewalk, wall of your home, etc. Once you see the disease, there's nothing you can do to control it so be sure to begin your spray program this fall. Check the label of the brand of copper based fungicide you purchase for detailed application instructions; repeat applications are necessary to protect the emerging leaves. Best wishes with your peach tree.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"