plant disease - Knowledgebase Question

Tinley Park, Il
Question by Lindasite
my wintercreeper moonshadow (Euonymus fortunei) has a white powder-like substance that is prevelent on the branches and the leaves are falling off. Do you know what this is and how to treat it before the plant dies? I continue to replace plants every year because of this problem.

Euonymus can develop a fungal disease called powdery mildew. The spores spread through splashing water and travel on wind currents to infect other plants. Once established, powdery mildew is difficult to control. Most fungal diseases develop during rainy, wet weather, but powdery mildew develops when daytime temperatures are warm and nights are cool. The disease is not dependent on water on the leaves. You can help your euonymus resist the disease by cutting back the affected plant parts (down to ground level if necessary), providing afternoon sunshine, and lots of air circulation in and around the plants. You can spray your plants with a general purpose garden fungicide to help protect them. Best wishes with your euonyums!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"