gladiolus bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
I have gladioli growing in a big planter. I want to dig up some of them and store them for next year as I don't yet know where in the ground I will be putting them. The others I want to leave in the planter. How do I handle both scenarious? When do I cut the foliage? How do I store the dug up bulbs. I live in the Inland Empire and it gets very hot here.

In order to store gladioli corms you need to wait until the end of the growing season before digging them. In most parts of the country the first frost of the fall is the time to dig them. In your warm winter climate they never really go into dormancy but they do stop growing in December so that should be your target date for digging and storing the corms. If you dig them out of the planter now you'll need to replant them into another container so they can continue to grow for the rest of the summer season. In December you can cut back the foliage, allow the corms to dry for 2-3 weeks and then store them in a cool, dark place until replanting the following spring. Best wishes with your glads.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"