gladiolus seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
I want to grow gladioli from seeds. I know it's easier just planting bulbs, but I like a challenge. When should I pick the seed pod from the plant and take out the seeds? What is the best way to plant them and what time of the year should it be done? Thank you

0

Glad flowers will develop seed pods which are easy to spot. They are usually about two inches in length and they are round. They start out green but will ripen to a tannish brown color. When the seedpod ripens it will begin to split open. When you see it beginning to split open, harvest the seedpod by cutting it off the plant. Open the pod, collect the seeds and place them in an airtight container. Store the container in a cool dark place until next March or April. Plant seeds only a half inch deep and space the seeds about 4" apart. Seeds usually germinate in 10-20 days. Good luck with your project.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"