PONY TAIL FUZZ - Knowledgebase Question

SOUTHFIELD, Mi
Question by HOUSEOFSLAUG
I HAVE TWO RATHER LARGE BEAUCARNEA PONY TAIL PLANTS. THEY APPROXIMATELY 10 FEET APART. BOTH PLANTS HAVE A WHITE FUZZ LIKE SUBSTANCE ON THEM THAT I WIPE OFF EACH TIME I WATER THEM. I HAVE SPRAYED THEM WITH AN INSECTICIDE BUT IT KEEPS RETURNING. WHAT IS THIS AND HOW DO I GET RID OF IT. THAN YOU!

0

I can't tell without inspecting the plant whether the fuzzy material is a disease such as powdery mildew or an insect. Scale insects and mealybugs can both have cottony tufts which looks like fuzz. An insecticide should take care of the insect pests, although repeat applications may be necessary so be sure to read and follow label directions. If the white stuff can be easily wiped off the surface of the leaves it is most likely the fungal disease called powdery mildew. If so, a fungicide should take care of it. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Best wishes with your ponytail palms.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Inimitable Ice Plant"