Indian Hawthorne - Knowledgebase Question

Clermont, Fl
Question by mkmalys
What is your opinion of how to trim 10 year old Indian hawthorne properly? Mine are rounded nicely with a little space between but they're different heights. Is it better to have them at same height? Also they have aphids. How do I control? Thank you.Mary

If you want your Indian Hawthornes to be an equal height you can certainly prune the taller one back. I'd wait until next spring to do so, though, so the new growth will come in rapidly and hide the pruning cuts. I like to treat my shrubs as individuals so I'd probably just leave them at different heights - but it's your yard and your call. You can control aphids by simply hosing them off with plain water or by spraying them with insecticidal soap. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"