Corn Cob Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Lawrenceville, Ge
Question by huyspaula
I am growing corn on the cob for the first time. I live near Atlanta Georgia. My Corn stalk have a white foam at the base of a couple of the stalks. What is it? Is it bad and what should I do about it. I would prefer an organic solution too.

0

The white foam is not normal and indicates either a fungal disease called smut or that the stalk has been damaged by a beetle or a boring insect and the liquid is the defense from your corn plant trying to seal up the wound. You can try washing away the foam to see if you can find the damage - or the insect. There's not much you can do to repair the damage to the corn stalk. It may very well begin to fall over in a few weeks and you'll want to remove it from the garden (along with any hitchiking insect pests or fungal spores). Wish I had something more positive to share with you!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "