zucchini - Knowledgebase Question

germantown, Ma
Question by rnixi
I have one zucchini plant in my vegetable garden. The garden is fenced in, no animals are getting in.
But my flowers of the zucchini plant are being eaten. The tops are bitten off. I see no evidence of an animal. Is there an insect that could be attaching my zucchini and not my pepers, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers,onions? Never had this problem before.

Slugs, snails and earwigs can feed on flower petals. Slugs and snails can be controlled with an iron based bait such as Sluggo. Earwigs generally feed on organic debris and other insects. Unless the population is large and there's lots of competition for food, they won't usually feed on live plants. There are two ways to control the earwigs: Put about a half-inch of water in an empty cat food or tuna can and float a tablespoon of oil on top. Place the can beneath your plants. Earwigs will be attracted to the residue in the can, crawl in, get coated with oil and drown. Or, roll a few newspaper tubes, moisten them, and place them in the garden in the early evening. Earwigs are mostly active at night and look for a moist, dark place to hide during the day. They'll crawl into the tubes in the early morning. Collect and dispose of the newspaper tubes each morning and eventually you'll lower the earwig population in your garden.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"