Fall Blooming Perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Philadelphia, Pe
Question by sinnerchick1
What would you recommend I plant now for plants that will bloom for fall? I have a 12 foot walkway I want to line with plants but not sure what. I'd like to do it now as that time of year would be insane for me to try planting anything!

Now is a great time to plant fall blooming perennials! Some to consider include: Aster novi-belgii (Michaelmas Daisy): In shades of pink, purple, blue and white, these delicate daisy-like blossoms start popping open in late August and continue on until frost. Pinching in the early summer turns these Asters into mounds with dozens of flower buds. [p]Asters will tend to creep throughout your garden, but their airiness allows them to blend particularly well with other flowers.

Caryopteris is a sub-shrub that is often grown in the perennial garden. Caryopteris slowly blossoms in August with dazzling blue flower clusters. Just try and keep the butterflies and bees away. Caryopteris is cut back in early spring, like a Buddleia, and the gray-green foliage is attractive all season.

Eupatorium (Joe Pye Weed) is one of those natives we take for granted because we see it by the side of the road, but it makes a wonderful backdrop to a garden border. The newer Eupatoriums have been bred shorter and less weedy but the dense mop heads of mauve flowers still blend in beautifully in the fall garden.

Helenium (Sneezeweed) is making a comeback in gardens. They look like small russet-toned coneflowers, in reds, yellows and oranges. Many helenium can grow quite tall and will need to be staked or pinched. Like clematis, they like cool feet and hot heads. helenium is also a good choice for poorly drained areas.

Don't forget chrysanthemums, sedum (especially 'Autumn Joy'), Heliopsis and Goldenrod.

Enjoy your fall garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"