How to care for Bok Choy - Knowledgebase Question

Dryden, Mi
Question by margietorre
I read many years ago that you should mound the soil up against the cylindrical-shaped vegetables as they grow to produce a whiter and hardier stalk. Would you recommend this? What are your thoughts on caring for my Bok Choy plants? I purchased some seedlings from The Home Depot and they seem to be very healthy, but I'm concerned about possible pests. What should I have on hand?

0

Gardeners often pile soil up around vegetables to help "blanch" them or keep them white but this practice is not recommended for bok choy. Your bok choy plants will mature quickly so about all you need to do is water them on a regular basis and harvest them before the weather gets too hot. The plants love cool weather and moist soils and usually mature within 45 days of planting. They don't have any particular insect pests so I wouldn't worry too much about protecting them from pests. Just check on them everyday and harvest the plants if you see them trying to produce a flower stem. Once they begin to flower, the plants won't be quite so tasty. Best wishes with your bok choy!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"