Why does my viburnum plicatuam var. tomentosum not bloom? - Knowledgebase Question

Oswego, Il
Question by susannemexic
I have this viburnum now for three seasons and it hasn't bloomed yet. It receives more than six hours of sun and is planted in a well drained location. The foliage looks good and it's growing accordingly. Could you please inform me why it's not blooming? Does it need a companion? Thank you. Susanne Reinert

0

Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum typically blooms in May and a three year old plant should be mature enough to flower. Six hours of sun is minimum, but acceptable so I'm not sure why your shrub is reluctant to bloom. As long as the foliage looks healthy and it is putting out new growth it's healthy, just reluctant to flower. I'd give it another year to settle in. I think it will flower for you next spring. If not, try pruning it back in June to encourage new growth. This should shock it into blooming for you! Best wishes with your viburnum.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"