Erigeron plants - Knowledgebase Question

Morton Grove, Il
Question by bertnelson
I've had three Erigeron(sp?) for at least 10 years. Last year and this year, a bunch of the stalks, instead of getting flowers, are getting tall green growths that branch out. These stalks then do not flower. What is this? Why did it start doing it now? The only change since I've planted them is that they get more shade because the trees are bigger. They do get at least 3 hours of midday sun.

0

Erigeron, or ?Fleabane? as it is commonly known, is a native Mexican plant that thrives in dry conditions and flowers profusely throughout summer and autumn. They do tend to develop into large clumps and if the plants are overcrowded, they may fail to flower. Since yours is refusing to flower, why not dig them up, divide the clumps into several pieces and replant them? As long as each division has both roots and stems attached they will establish themselves and should flower for you. Three hours of sun might not be quite enough for your plants. A minimum of 6 hours of sun will ensure flowers so why not find sunnier spots for at least some of your divisions? I think you'll see a big difference in their performance. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"