Raised garden - Knowledgebase Question

Temple, Ge
Question by caustin74
I have plenty of cedar planks and thought about building my planter gardent with them. Is it better than pressure treated wood for gardens?
What should the ground be soil or wood?
Thanks Georgia 50 miles in country west ga.

0

Cedar is an excellent wood for raised bed planters. The wood is reasonably rot resistant and is much better than pressure treated wood for vegetable gardens (if that's what you plan on growing). The bottom of the bed should be soil, not wood and you can fill the bed with purchased top soil or you can mix compost or other organic matter into your native soil and fill the bed with that. Use by volume one part compost to two parts garden soil, mix together well and then fill your raised bed. For adequate root room, make your raised bed at least 18" deep. Best wishes with your raised bed project!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"