Pussywillow - Knowledgebase Question

Sterling, Ma
Question by smrotti
We recently planted a pussywillow bush and now all the leaves look diseased...raised white pimples all over them...what could I do? Is there a spray I should use?

I don't think it's a disease but rather an insect problem called Willow Blister Gall. Those bumps or bulges are cysts formed by gall mites or midges having laid eggs. Although the leaves are distorted, the galls do no permanent damage to pussywillows. There's really nothing you can do to prevent the damage other than to rake the fallen leaves or pull off all the affected leaves and crush the eggs to prevent the next generation. Some years are worse than others in terms of insect populations and galls on the leaves so your pussywillow may not be affected next year. Good luck with your new pussywillow.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"