lupin seeds and aphids - Knowledgebase Question

Marblehead, Ma
Question by jodymagee
Hello Susan:
1.my lupin got infested with aphids. spray worked well, but didn't eliminate them.Because wind knocked over some in the seed growing phase,I cut them off: will the seed pods mature having been detached from the plant. 2. how should I store them before planting them back? 3. When will I know to plant them4. Should I spray the seeds for aphid eggs? Thank you very much, Jody Mag

0

Apids love lupins so I'm not surprised they found yours. Hosing them of with plain water or spraying with insecticidal soap should control them. If the flower stalks were cut off the plant before the seeds had a chance to ripen, the seeds won't be viable. They need to mature while still attached to the plant. You can try planting one seed to see if it will germinate. If not, toss them out. Next time your lupine flowers, allow the flower stalks to remain on the plant, even if they topple over. Don't cut off the stems or harvest the seeds until the seed pods turn a tannish-brown color. Aphid eggs won't be a problem with the seeds. Aphids don't eat seeds. Instead, they suck the fluids from the tissues of succulent leaves and stems. I hope you have better luck with your seeds next time!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"