Compost - Knowledgebase Question

Church Road, Vi
Question by ypeck300
I want to start a compost pile, but I'm not sure how much water to add to the pile to begin the compost. someone told me if I would add 1 can of beer, 1 can of cola, 1 cup of ammonia, 1/2 cup of weak tea water and 2 tbsp. of baby shampoo to the composte it would speed up the process. Would this be a good booster to the compost?

I don't think the additives you've listed will do much to help jump start the composting process but a sure fire way of getting things going is to mix in a shovelful of soil. The soil will contain all kinds of microbes and micro-organisms, which will help get your compost pile cooking. You'll need both green and brown materials for a healthy balance of nitrogen and carbon. Mix them together in your pile, sprinkle on a shovelful of soil and mix it in, then water the pile down. The material should be moist but not soggy wet. It should feel about as damp as a wrung-out sponge. Every week mix the compost pile up, moving the warm center to the outside edges and the cool material on the outside towards the center of the pile. Best wishes with your compost!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"