Best time to pick vegetables? - Knowledgebase Question

Thibodaux, Lo
Question by dogmangee
1. When is the best time to pick cucumbers?
2. My bell peppers start off looking just like the ones in the store, but then they start to get white spots on them. What do you think is causing this?

Cucumbers taste best when they are only about 6" long. The good news is that the more you harvest, the more flowers and fruits your cucumber plants will produce. So, harvest often and you'll get lots more cucumbers. I can't tell without looking at your peppers what might be causing the white spots, but I suspect it is sunscald. If the affected peppers are exposed to harsh afternoon sun the thin skin can get sunburned. Or, it could be that there was a small injury to the skin which caused it to crack and the tissue beneath it dried or died and turned white. Either way, the pepper is still good to eat. Just cut away the affected portion. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"