pondless waterfalls - Knowledgebase Question

Derby, Ne
Question by gbacarothers
We are installing a pondless waterfalls in our backyards. I would like to know the best way to do it. We bought the tub container and the pump, plastic liner and used a garden hose to make a design. Now, I'm lost what to do next. Any advise would be appreciate.

Now that you have the supplies you need, the next step is to actually install the parts. Dig a hole, put the tub in the hole and backfill with the soil you dug out. Get the tub as level as you can, but leave it elevated about four inches above ground level. Fill it with water to help it settle. I know it will get filthy, but do it anyway. You will pump it out later and replace it with fresh, clean water. Then use the hose to wet the soil you used to backfill. That makes it settle into all the air pockets and makes your tub stable. If you don't have it filled with water, the tub will float up while you are hosing the soil into place and you will have to start digging all over again.

Now that you have the tub in place, it's time to put your pump in. I usually put the pump somewhere where I know I can get to it later, because it will need cleaning periodically. Connect a long piece of flexible tubing to the pump and lay it outside the tub. This tube is what the water will go through to get up and over the waterfall or through the rocks, so be sure the tubing is long enough.

Next, place big rocks, any kind you like, in the tub. Put big ones on the bottom, smaller on top. Remember, you will have to get to the pump to clean it at least twice a year or so, so cover the pump so you can remove it easily.

Put topsoil around that 4" of tub that you left sticking up. You will plant in that later. On the top of the topsoil, cantilever flat rocks over the top of the tub so none of the tub is showing.

Now you are ready to either build a waterfall using flat rocks or, my favorite, use a rock with a hole drilled through it. Push the tubing through the hole and let it bubble up and back down into the tub. Or, build a stack of rocks, running the tubing up through the center so the water bubbles up through the top of the rocks and down into the tub.

Plug in the pump. Plant some pretty plants around your new piece of art and enjoy!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"