Fig Tree stopped bearing - Knowledgebase Question

Oakland, Ca
Question by carola3
I have a fig tree which used to produce wonderful figs. I don't live in a frosty climate, but it has stopped bearing. It bore for 3-4 years, with more each year. One year, the squirrels ate all the figs before they matured and from then on the tree stopped bearing fruit except maybe one or two little babies that disappear before they ripen. I miss my figs! What can I do?

Start by having your soil tested. If it is too acidic or too alkaline, the fig tree will have trouble finding the nutrients it needs in order to grow and produce fruit. Too much nitrogen can stop fruit production, so don't feed your tree and see if that makes a difference. Finally, root pruning, while sometimes a drastic measure, can make your tree sit up and take notice - and also produce lots of fruit. Root pruning is a simple task. Just use a shovel and insert the blade its entire length into the soil, all the way around the tree, about 2 feet from the trunk. You'll sever some of the roots which will cause them to sprout. The new roots will take up moisture and nutrients and result in new topgrowth. Hope this helps your tree!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"