azaleas - Knowledgebase Question

clarion, Pe
Question by vavrek
About a month ago, I plated three azaleas in the same area at the top of my new garden wall. One is starting to turn brown. I know not seeing it makes it a difficult call, but should I transplant it and see if that helps? thanks bv
PS, It's a three gallon plant so as you might guess I would hate to have it die.

If the leaves are a crispy brown, I'd venture an educated guess that it's either sunburn, over fertilization, or droughty conditions. If the leaves are still soft but brown, overwatering (or poorly draining soils), a fungal disease or insect attack are the most likely causes. Carefully inspect the undersides of the leaves for the presence of insects. Spidermites can suck the fluids out of the leaf tissues, as can lots of other insects.

If you're still not quite sure what the problem could be, why not clip off a stem or branch with the affected leaves and take it into a local Master Gardener Clinic or cooperative extension for a positive diagnosis? You can contact the extension office for a list of Master Gardener Clinic locations or to get their office hours so you can take your plant sample in for inspection. Contact: Penn State Clarion County Cooperative Extension, 8 Grant Street, Clarion, PA 16214 Phone: 814-223-9028

Best wishes with your azalea!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"