Multi-trunk Birch tree - Knowledgebase Question

palmdale, Ca
Question by lalo3121954
Planted tree about 8 weeks ago, 2 weeks after, it shed some leaves. After that it look good for about 2-3 weeks. now it's been yellowing and shedding leaves again. Looks like is drying. Have added b-1 vitamin last week, still does'nt look good. It's planted in middle of yard. I did some research on line, maybe lack of iron? I live in Palmdale CA, hi desert climate. Thank You.

0

The most common reason for yellowing leaves on a young birch is heat and water stress. The leaves will turn completely yellow and drop to the ground. This is a natural reaction of the tree to help reduce stress in the summer. The tree simply does not have enough of a root system to support all of the foliage on the tree so the natural reaction of the tree is to drop some of the foliage. The only thing that you can do is to make sure that your young river birch trees have sufficient soil moisture during the hot part of the year.

The other reason for yellowing leaves on your birch tree is a problem called chlorosis. This is a mineral difficiency and the tree does not take up enough iron because the soil in the area is too alkaline for iron to be available to the tree. Leaves on the tree turn yellow with green veins. If this is what you are seeing, Ironite will help.

Best wishes with your birch tree.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"