fall mums - Knowledgebase Question

newton centre, Ma
Question by nanandpap1
I noticed today (june 20) that my fall mums are already flowering.Why is this happening. I am assuming that I will not have flowers in the fall.

0

Fall mums are usually pinched back every few weeks from spring through summer. This encourages a bushy growth habit and also stops flower bud formation. Stop pinching the first of August and your plants will develop flower buds which will open in the fall. Your plants, even though they are already flowering, may flower again in the fall. When the flowers are spent cut the flowering stems down to a set of leaves. Two new flowering stems should develop at that point and new flowers should appear. Best wishes with your mums.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"