What's happening to my sqash & peppers? - Knowledgebase Question

Oxford, Ge
Question by robyn150
Hi, I only planted yellow squash, zucchini, bell peppers, pickling cucumbers and one cayenne plant. Started out strong, but in the mornings I started finding squash blossoms all on the ground and the stem that it was on is just cut like someone cut it with scissors. By now, I should have had bags of squash! Cucumbers seem okay, but bell peppers-same as squash and the cheyenne is being eaten.?

Actually, it's possible that the squash blossoms are falling off naturally. They are only open for a day and then the flowers close up and fall off the plant. If the flower was female and was pollinated, you'd see a squash developing. The flowers tend to drop off as though they were cut. You can tell the difference between male and female squash blossoms. Male flowers are attached to a straight stem; female blossoms have a slight swelling behind the petals. Check to see whether you are losing both male and female flowers or if just the males are dropping. If your plant is setting female flowers but they are not developing into fruits, there's a lack of pollination, either from no insect activity or really hot weather.

On the other hand, there may be insects or snails at work in your garden. Try going at at different times of the day from morning until nightfall to see if you can find the culprit. I hope you do! Until you've identified the flower destroyer, there's not much we can suggest as a control measure. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"