nishiki varigated willow tree (9ft) - Knowledgebase Question

pittsburgh, Pe
Question by shellyokeefe
Last Saturday my husband commented on how healthy and beautiful our nishiki willow looked. THe following monday all of the leaves were completely brown, as if it was dead. THis is very upsetting to us because it was planted as a memorium. IT is surrounded by hydrangeas. What could have happened to it? What should I do with it from here?
we are sad
shelly

0

I'm sure your willow is valuable to you and I wish I could positively identify the problem, but without seeing it, I'd only be guessing. If the leaves are brown but hanging on the tree, it could be a root rot problem. If the leaves are crispy brown and falling, it's probably weather related. If you didn't see any spots on the leaves prior to the sudden browning, it's probably not a fungal disease, but you might want to cut a stem and check the inside tissues. Verticillium wilt can also cause sudden wilting and infected wood will have a black streak running along the inside tissues of the stem or branch. About the only advice I can offer is to take a sample of the problem to your local cooperative extension office. Staff there can diagnose the problem and suggest remedies. Contact Penn State Cooperative Extension, 400 North Lexington Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15208-2521, Phone: 412-473-2540.

Good luck with your willow.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"