Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

Gahanna, Oh
Question by chuckdoz1
We had a new sod lawn installed in mid April. It's doing good so far but I am worried about the hot weather. How often do you think I should water and for how long?

Turfgrass needs about an inch of water per week. How long to run your sprinklers really depends upon your water pressure. The goal is to apply one inch of water per week to sod once it has rooted well. You can get a reasonable idea of how much water your sprinklers put out by placing several empty tuna fish or cat food cans in various places on your lawn and running the sprinklers for 15 minutes. Go out and check the amount of water the cans have collected. If they have an inch, then running your sprinklers for 15 mintues should do it once or twice a week (in hot weather). If there's less than an inch of water in the cans, turn the water on for another 15 minutes. Keep checking the water level and eventually you'll be able to determine how long to keep the sprinklers on.

Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"