Which Shrubs??? - Knowledgebase Question

Branford, Co
Question by nrobe
Here it is!! The first day of summer and now I'm ready to do my first landscaping project in the front of my townhouse. I'm a beginner and don't where to start outside of the actual cleanup. It's not a huge space (maybe 3x5) but I would like to replant some shrubs/bushes. My question is which shrubs would work best this late in June and how many should I plant in such a small space?

In such a small area, I'd plant dwarf shrubs. Some recommended by Colorado State University include:
Mops Dwarf Mugo Pine: A true dwarf mugo that won't outgrow the landscape. It stays very compact and dense without shearing. This hardy green pine forms a low dense mound. It is globed shaped and grows to 3 feet.

Bagatelle Barberry, Berberis thunbergii var atropurpea "Bagatelle': This upright growing shrub has deep red foliage which turns a brighter red in the fall. Grows 1 1/2 feet high and wide.

Blue Shag Dwarf White Pine, Pinus strobus 'Blue Shag': This long needled globed shaped dwarf pine has a soft texture and blue-green foliage. It grows 3-4 feet high and wide.

Dwarf Alberta Spruce, Picea glauca 'Conica': This dwarf conifer is upright and narrow. It grows 3-6 feet tall. Its conical shape is dense with grass green foliage.
Regent Serviceberry, Amelanchier alnifolis 'Regent':Small deciduous flowering shrub which has soft green leaves. White flowers open in spring. Black edible fruit forms in the summer. It has orange-red color in the fall. Grows 4-6 feet high and wide.

Spanish Gold Broom, Cytisus purgans: This shrub is a dense mound of ascending bright green stems that are adorned much of the spring with golden pea blossoms. It grows to 4 feet high and up to a 6 feet wide.

Dwarf Oregon Grape Holly, Mahonia aquifolium 'Compacta': This broadleaf evergreen has yellow flowers in spring followed by edible blue berries. This plant grows slowly to 2-3 feet tall and 2-4 feet wide.

Choose one of the above shrubs and then plant colorful annuals or perennials to fill in around your new shrub. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"