New Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Pflugerville, Te
Question by luna_gish
Hello, I was wondering if you could suggest some fruit trees, veggies, and flowers that will survive in the heat of central TX. I'm starting a new garden, and so far have only had luck with jalapenos. Thanks!

You'll need two different cultivars of apple trees in order to have a good crop. Apples that do well in your region include: Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Gala, Holland, Jerseymac, Mollie's Delicious, Fuji, Granny Smith.

Bryan, Hungarian, Moorpark Apricots grow well in your region; Montmorency sour cherries; Texas Everbearing, Celeste Figs; Orient, Moonglow, Kieffer, LeConte, Ayres, Garber, Maxine, Warren Pears, and Redglobe, Milam, Majestic, Denman, Loring, Belle of Georgia (white flesh), Dixiland, Redskin, Jefferson Peaches.

You have your choice of perennials and vegetables! Texas A & M has a publication listing the best perennials:
and the best veggies:

These publications also discuss soil prep, sun exposure and watering and fertilizing needs for each of the plants.

Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"