Bulletgrass (torpedo grass) - Knowledgebase Question

Trinity, Fl
Question by burtgrace
Bulletgrass is invading my shrubs. If I try to pull them out, the stem just breaks off leaving the root in the ground. Trying to dig them out is impossible because they are mingled so thick with the shrubs. And for that reason i'm afraid to use roundup for fear of killing the shrubs. Is there a solution for gitting rid of the bulletgrass without damageing the plants they invaded?

0

I wish there were an easy solution, but unfortunately there's not. Once the roots become established, you'll need to dig and pull it out. Any seeds or plant parts left behind will sprout so you're going to have a battle on your hands for quite some time. Sometimes you can be successful if you cut the weeds down to ground level and immediately paint Round Up on the stubs. Round Up will move down to the roots and kill that part of the plant. The caution is that Round Up will also kill any other plant it touches. That's why you need to paint rather than spray the weed stubs. Once you've done that, try placing a weed barrier fabric over the bare soil between your shrubs to help keep the weed seeds that are lurking in the bed from sprouting. I hope this technique works for you!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"