What perennials are best - Knowledgebase Question

Aurora, Co
Question by eightxmom
My garden is my patio and is in pots. It receives mostly shade w.afternoon setting son. What perennials are best to plant and how do I take care of them? I am from the south so do not know much about my area plants.

Foxglove, campanula, lady's mantle, sweet woodruff, coralbells, astilbe, Japanese anemone, and ferns of all kinds like shady conditions. The problem you'll face is that plants don't overwinter well in containers. The roots are exposed and can freeze solid unless you can insulate the containers and move them to a protected area. Instead of planting perennials, why not plant shade loving annuals with the intent of replacing them each spring? This way you'll always have something fresh and attractive and you won't have to worry about insulating the containers each fall. Best wishes with your container garden.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"