Are they all gone! - Knowledgebase Question

Fair Oaks, Ca
Question by icowgirlup2
im digging up fortnight lily and there bulb is kinda small. how do i tell if I got all the bulbs or not? Plants are at least 5 years old and I've never, never done anything with the bulbs. Please help want to plant something totally different in that area!

Fortnight lily is also called African Iris and it grows from underground stems called rhizomes. You will need to dig up the entire root system in order to remove the plant from your garden. Use a garden fork or spade to go back over the area where it was planted and work through the soil. If you find roots, or bulbs, dig them out. Once you're sure there are no more roots left, you can plant something entirely different in the area. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"