over watering - Knowledgebase Question

honolulu, Ha
Question by carolnaka
I have a potted heliconia plant that has deen watered daily in the early evening. Now the plant maybe dying slowly. The leaves are turning brown; and the roots appear to be on the mushy side. How to I go about to bring this plant back to life. HELP!!
Thank you, Carol

I don't know that your plant can be saved, but it's certainly worth a try! Unpot your heliconia and cut away the mushy roots with a sharp knife. Just set the rootmass on a hard surface, hold the top of the plant with one hand and slice down from top to bottom, removing the mushy roots. After you've done that all around, lay the plant on its side and slice off the bottom of the root mass to completely remove all the mushy roots. Then repot in fresh potting soil and water well to settle the plant and the soil. With any luck at all the plant will recover. Let's hope so!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"