Planting a weeping birch tree - Knowledgebase Question

Glastonbury, Co
Question by stellaemman
I purchased two river birch which was shocked when planted and it leaves turned brown but it is still alive. The other..the weeping birch was fine (planted about a month ago)Now, the leaves are turning yellow..does it need water or am I giving too much. I water twice a week by letting the hose sit around the trunk for about a half an hour. Thanks for your help.

Too much water can cause root stress and make the leaves turn yellow. Most landscape trees and shrubs need about an inch of water per week, applied slowly so the water throughly wets the root mass. Then the soil needs to dry out a bit before the tree is watered again. Watering the way you do is probably keeping the soil too saturated which can drive out the oxygen and essentially suffocate the roots. Instead of watering twice a week, try watering only once each week. And, cut down the length of time you allow the water to run. 15 to 20 minutes of a slow trickle should do it. Good luck with your trees!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"