bell peppers - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by georgeareid
I have about 18 bell pepper plants and I let them get to approx 2ft before I let them start growing fruit. I have a row and furrow style garden with the furrows filled lightly with composted mulch to help with water retention. Problem: some of the peppers are getting thin skin spots that are like brown onion skin, then they wither. HELP!!!

It sounds like sun scald to me. You can try providing some afternoon shade for your peppers. If you don't think it's sunscald, it might be a bacterial soft rot. Sometimes a tiny wound on the skin can develop into a bacterial spot and the outer skin can turn brown. It's difficult for me to tell without actually seeing the fruit. If you're still unsure, why not take one of the fruits to your local cooperative extension office or Master Gardener Clinic for positive diagnosis? Contact ASU Maricopa County Extension, 4341 E. Broadway Road, Phoenix, AZ 85040,
Phone: 602-827-8200.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"