Japanese Maple problem... - Knowledgebase Question

Bacliff, Te
Question by davidht1979
Hi guys! Thanks so much for your response to my last question. I have a Japanese Maple that I bought from Home Depot. I planted it in a large pot. It's 2-3 feet tall and the leaves are scorched. The tips are brown and curling and droop. I used marble chips in the bottom of the pot and used MGRO potting mix with soil conditioner. Should I re-plant it with a perlite/bark chips/peat moss mix?

I don't think it's the potting soil that's giving your maple problems, but the sun exposure (most like morning sun and afternoon shade), or the amount of water you're giving your tree. Crispy leaf margins are usually due to wind or sunburn or overly wet soils. If the exposure to the sun is correct, try changing your watering habits. Water thoroughly then wait a few days and stick your finger down into the soil. If it is still moist an inch beneath ther soil surface, you won't need to water for a few days; if it feels dry, it's time to water. Plants in containers usually need more water than plants in the ground because the potting soil can dry out quickly. However, there may be lots of water still at the bottom of the container (where the roots are) so digging down into the soil will help you determine whether or not the soil is truly drying out, or if it is retaining lots of water. If roots sit in saturated soils for long periods of time they can suffocate. That's why it's important that containers have adequate drainage holes in the bottom. Just be cautious with watering and I think your maple will recover. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"