Yellowing Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Green Bay, Wi
Question by dewittgmd
We planted a River Clumb birch about a month ago. about 1/2 the leaves are turning yellow. Is it due to a very wet month or could the spot light we have shinning up in the tree be causing this? Thanks

0

I don't think the spotlight is causing the problem - unless it is close and radiates heat. I'm assuming you keep the light on for only a few hours in the evening rather than all night long. Most of the time yellowing leaves indicate overly wet soils. River birches like moist soils, but long term soil saturation can rob the roots of the oxygen they need. Couple your high rainfall with the stress of being transplanted and I suspect the problem is temporary. As soon as your new tree adjusts to its new home, and the soil dries out a bit, your tree should be fine. Best wishes with your tree.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"