watermelons and pumpkins - Knowledgebase Question

Cleveland, Oh
Question by domichuck
I bought my son some watermelon and pumpkin seeds to start indoors but when I transplanted them outside the watermelon seems to have stopped growing and the pumpkin which was growing better than anything I planted had bloomed flowers and then they dried up and fell off and we hasnt produced anymore we transplanted in mid May and it is now late June any suggestions.

Your transplants are probably just suffering from a little transplant shock and I suspect the watermelon is just waiting for some warmer weather before it resumes growth. Your pumpkin develops separate male and female flowers. The first flowers to develop are usually male flowers and they cannot produce pumpkins. As the plant grows and the weather warms it will produce both male and female blossoms. If pollen is transferred from the male to the female, a pumpkin will form. You can tell the difference between the flowers by looking at the stems behind the petals. Male flowers have straight stems; female flowers have a slight swelling. At this point there's not much you can do to encourage growth other than to make sure your plants are getting lots of sunshine and adequate water. Both plants like warm nights and even warmer days. When the weather suits them they will flower and produce fruit for you. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"