Mulch - Knowledgebase Question

Fruitland Park, Fl
Question by vazquezl2
I started backwards and planted underneath my oak tree a circular flower bed. It is full and growing nicely. I'd like to now place black weed deterent cloth and mulch, but how do I do this with the plants already existing there? Please give me an idea. Thanks

0

You're right, it would have been a whole lot easier to put the weed barrier down first! There are a couple of things you can do. One is to cut weed barrier fabric into strips or squares and custom fit them between your plants, then cover over with a decorative mulch. The other approach is to place several thicknesses of newspapers over the bare earth between your plants and then cover over it with 2-3 inches of compost or other mulch material. Either the weed block or the newspapers will exclude sunlight, which is what weed seeds need to germinate. The only difference between the weed barrier and several thicknesses of news paper is that weed barrier fabric will last 5 to 7 years. Newspapers only about two years. Best wishes with your new flower bed!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"